Dagoba Xocolatl is organic cocoa powder plus hot chilies. It’s very tasty. I wondered what sort of brownies it might make.
I did realise that this would require some experimenting. I found a recipe that started with cocoa powder and adjusted it: the Xocolatl already has some sugar in it. So I took out some sugar from the recipe and added some extra cocoa powder. Then I played with everything to get it balanced…
I assert ownership to this recipe: I made it up, it’s mine. Ok? You use it, I get credit!
For the Brownies
- 1 Stick (1/2 Cup) Butter, Melted
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1/3 Cup Dagoba Xocolatl
- 1 Tbs Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Pecans (optional)
Preheat oven to 325° with rack in centre of oven.
- Line a 9″x9″ pan with tinfoil.
- Combine melted butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs in a bowl. Stir until thoroughly blended.
- In a separate container, combine flour, Xocolatl, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry to the wet and incorporate completely. Do not over-mix!
- Reserve 1/2 cup of this batter and pour the rest in the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle pecans on top of the batter.
For the Cream Cheese Topping
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1 Egg
- Beat the cream cheese with the sugar.
- Add the vanilla and the egg.
- Blend thoroughly.
- Pour this over the brownie batter (and nuts)
- Place the reserved batter in small dollops on the top.
- Use a knife or an spoon handle to swirl the two batters without mixing them.
Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 mins or until the brownies start to pull away from the sides of the pan and the edges of the brownies are just beginning to brown.
Chill for at least two hours before cutting into squares.
One other option: instead of cream cheese, try moscarpone!