05 September 2017

More Sober Vigilance

Today's Readings:
Omnes enim vos filii lucis estis, et filii diei: non sumus noctis, neque tenebrarum. Igitur non dormiamus sicut et ceteri, sed vigilemus, et sobrii simus.
For all of you are children of the light and children of the day. We are not of the night or of darkness. Therefore, let us not sleep as the rest do,but let us stay alert and sober.
1 Thessalonians 5:5-6

We have it here again, that combination of Sober Vigilance that is so important to the Apostolic conception of the Christian life.

Satan never says, "Hey, let's do this awesome bad thing." He uses the "Hey, let's do this less-good thing" over and over until you're doing a bad thing.

I have this problem: I want to be in bed by 9:30. I love writing these daily meditations, but, really, about now (8:34 PM as I write) I should stop and set about my evening prayers and getting ready for bed... so that I can get to bed by 9:30.  But these meditations are a good thing - for myself, and for my readers. They touch people, they invite people into relationship with Christ. But, in the end, if I start writing at 8:30, it's going to be 9:30 before I'm done. There's the teeth brushing and the bed making and, tonight, the putting away clothes from the dryer.

Then I skip my bedtime prayers and tell God I'm sorry and go to sleep.

See? A less-good-than.

In the Angelic Warfare Confraternity, the 8th daily prayer is for our power of estimation:
Grant that we may quickly sense dangers to chastity and instinctively flee from them, that we may never turn away from higher, more difficult, and more honorable goods for the sake of sinful self-indulgence.
And tonight at a meeting discussing the Ignatian exercises, the group leader pointed out that it's discipline that leads us to self-control.

So, with those passing thoughts, I'm going to be sober and vigilant. It's 8:43PM now.

Asking your prayers.

(Stick it, Satan.)